Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Number four.... From Southern Miss... Quarterback... BRETT....... FAVREEEEE

Roberto Ruiz-Maki

Whether you love Brett Favre or hate him, you have to respect him. Favre has been one of the most exciting athletes in football for most of our lives now, he has been leading ESPN's Sportscenter since I was a year old. September 27th, 1992, was the date of his first NFL start, and he had been the starting quarterback for whichever team he has played for, whether it was the Green Bay Packers, New York Jets, or Minnesota Vikings.
To start 297 consecutive games at quarterback is incredible, as well as unheard of. After suffering injuries to his back, side, left elbow, right elbow, left knee, right knee, left ankle, right ankle, right thumb, hamstring, right hand, right forearm, head, brain (concussion), right arm, right pinkie finger, left shoulder, hip, groin, left foot, chin, calf, and neck, he has been defeated by a sprained SC joint. The iron-man of the National Football League has finally sat out of a football game.
I personally dislike Brett Favre because of the way he left the Packers. I know many people blame Ted Thompson, general manager of the Green Bay Packers, for giving Favre no other choice but to leave, but I place the blame solely on Favre. He let his pride come before the organization by refusing to let Aaron Rodgers take his place as the starting quarterback, instead retiring and coming back a few weeks later, forcing the Packers to trade him to the Jets. I remember believing without a doubt that Favre would lead the Packers back to the Super Bowl, but time after time he left Packer fans with a sour taste in their mouth after a mind-numbing interception. I dislike him for the way he left, but I love him for the heart and soul that he left on the field each and every game. He gave this game everything he had, and it has finally bested him.
Brett Favre, in my opinion, is the best quarterback to ever play the game. He will finish at the top of the list in nearly every significant passing record. He played every game like it was his last, and you could count on him to show up for every game. With him on your team, a second-string quarterback was unnecessary.
I will never forget the hopes and dreams that were inspired by Brett Favre before the start of each football season; nor will I ever forget the heartbreak he caused by not knowing when to call it quits. Brett, go back to the bayou, spend time with your family, and know that Packer fans everywhere will always be grateful for what you gave us: 16 years of pure heart.

1 comment:

  1. hummmm there is so much truth on what Roberto writes. There was a time where I looked inside to see where was I in regards to Following Brett or stay with The pack, His actions really make me question where my values and support stand. I believe that each team are always looking for the financial health of the team and players are circumstances that are passing by and that also care about their financial future. somehow I saw something different on Brett He cares about the money and also cares about the game as Roberto well put it in his writing. It is his behavior that indicated to me that he was trying to challenge the system and prove them wrong, perhaps he did not do that and perhaps he lost some packer funs, but at the end he played the game how he wanted to do it. I applaud that and I support that and I don't need to choose between the Packers or Brett I just need to remember that at the end we are all humans trying to do our best and Brett did his best no questions about that...

    ReplyDelete